This trekking tour offers beautiful scenery and micro climates along the way, snow-capped mountains of Humantay Mt 19.192ft / 5.850m, Salkantay Mt 20.505ft / 6.250m; diversity in wild vegetation, farmlands, and local communities, hot springs, Inca sites,
Salkantay Trek 4D/3N is a short version from the classic Salkantay 5 days trek. Designed for people on tight schedule, but still, want to explore the whole trail without missing anything, starting early and a little further ahead, it’s possible to reach Machu Picchu on day 4th.
We will leave Cusco early in the morning at 4:00 am, we will drive to Anta province passing through the villages of Izcuchaca, Ancahuasi, and Limatambo. The journey takes about 2.5 hours toward Mollepata, village where we will stop to subscribe at the control point, afterward, we continue on to Soraypampa (3.700m/ 12.303ft) where we meet our rider and his pack of horses, after a good breakfast, we head the trail toward Salkantaypampa where we will take a short break enjoying the views of Salkantay snow-capped Mountain. From here we continue starting a fairly steep section of switchbacks, continuing ahead for 2 more hours, we reach to Salkantay pass 4.615m/ 15.141ft. After a small break and after having taken some photos, we head downhill to Wayraqmachay spot where we will spend the night at the back of Humantay Mountain. This campsite offers spectacular views of the glacier and, if the weather is clear, we will have impressive views of the southern sky, but is high and usually cold.
• Walking distance: 9, 3 Miles. / 14 km
• Trailhead Elevation: 12.830ft. / 3.920 m
• Maximum Altitude Gained: 950 meters
• Campsite Climate: Cold 5C – 41F at night
• Campsite Elevation: 12,834 ft. / 3,912 m
• Weather: Cold
After an early breakfast, we will head downhill to discover the high jungle, passing through the cloud forest, where we will see a wide variety of exotic vegetation and orchids. Likewise, some villages along the way, as we travel to the jungle we will notice the climate changes from the sparse Andean grasses of the puna to lush cloud-forest home to butterflies, hummingbirds, and a wide variety of wildlife. We will have lunch at Qolpapampa, from where the trail is much easier, uneven way to the campsite at Sahuayaco “La playa” 6.771 ft. / 2.064 m.
Today is an intense day, however, we have the chance to visit and enjoy the hot springs in Santa Teresa, it will be relaxing and well-deserved bath after the long hike.
• Walking distance: 10, 3 Miles. / 17 km
• Trailhead Elevation: 12,834 ft. / 3,912 m
• Maximum Altitude Gained: 1.900 meters downhill
• Campsite Climate: mild weather 15C – 50F at night
• Campsite Elevation: 6.771 ft. / 2.064 m.
• Weather: Mild weather
Early in the morning at 5:30 am after our breakfast, we leave the campsite following the car road to Lucmabamba, from here we continue our adventure, now uphill for about 3 hours to Llactallacta, the Inca site facing to Machu Picchu citadel, after a brief information and having taken some photos, we will continue 2.5 hours downhill toward Hydroelectric for lunch, from now on, we will continue without our cook and porters, it will be the time to say them goodbye, afterward, we will take the trail by the railway along the Urubamba Valley toward Aguas Calientes town. On the way, we will see part of Machupicchu citadel, some terraces and a lot of wild vegetation.
Tonight, we will stay in 3 stars hotel room provided by Kuntur Peru.
After all our trek, you will have a hot shower, clean bedroom, comfortable mattress, there is a massage service at your hotel for an extra cost if you desire. For the last supper, your guide will pick you up at the hotel.
• Walking distance: 12.5 miles/21 km, up, down and flat trail
• Trailhead Elevation: 6.771 ft. / 2.064 m.
• Town Climate: 17C – 62F at night
• Town Elevation: 6.692ft. /2.040m
• Weather: Milt weather
Early in the morning after breakfast, you will take the bus up to visit Machu Picchu citadel. Make sure you are carrying your passport the one you have booked with, once in the citadel, your guide will give you a background information about the Inca city, then he will show you the most important sectors in the citadel, after 2 hours guided tour you will have plenty of time for further exploring.
Note: If you purchased the admission tickets to climb Wayna Picchu Mt or Machu Picchu Mt, your guide will give you some instructions about where and what time you should be there, it could take 1.5 to 2 hours back and forth.
The guide will meet you at Aguas Calientes town for lunch. Afterward, we take our return train to Ollantaytambo, where our private transportation will be waiting for us, we drive 2 hours back to Cusco
• Meals: Snacks, breakfast, lunch, and dinner are not included today.
• Estimated walking time: 2 guided tour in Machu Picchu.
• Walking distance: Exploring in Machu Picchu.
• Machu Picchu Elevation: 7.874ft. /2.400m.
• Accommodation: Back to your hotel in Cusco.
• Difficulty: Easy.
The trekking tour includes
- • Pick up at your hotel in the morning of the trek departure
- • Private transport from Cusco to Soraypampa (starting point of the trek)
- • Entrance fee to Machu Picchu
- • Comfortable tents (sleeping 2 people in a 4 person tent)
- • All camping equipment such as: dining tent, table, chairs, kitchen tent and toilet tent
- • Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- • First Aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- • Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- • Train from Hydroelectric to Aguas Calientes
- • Private transport from Ollantaytambo to your hotel in Cusco
- • Celebration dinner in Aguas Calientes (touristic restaurant)
- • Hotel in Aguas Calientes with private room and bathroom
- • Mules and horses (for equipment and personal items) including horsemen - 7 kilos of your personal items such as extra clothes, sleeping bag will be carried by our mules
- • Provision of a horse in case of emergency such as illness, to ensure trek can be completed by all participants
- • Inflatable mattress
This trekking tour doesnt include
- • Sleeping bag adequate for temperature of minus 10°C ($20 for duration of the trek)
- • Breakfast on the first day, Lunch & Dinner on the last day
- • Entry to Huanapicchu ($25)
- • 1 way bus ticket from Machu Picchu back to Aguas Calientes, it can be hiked.
- • Extra activities such as zip line and barbecues.
- • Additional horse for extra personal luggage in addition of the one for personal item allowance.
- • Optional upgrade (train and hotel)
- • Tips for the cook, horsemen and guide (kuntur peru´s staff receive fair and decent payments immediately after they end their trip. However tips are of great appreciation for them)
What to bring for the trek?
- A lightweight, waterproof day pack with change of clothes for the whole trek (must not exceed 7 kilos)
- Sleeping bag adequate for temperature of minus 10°c (rentable for $20 for duration of the trek)
- Sturdy hiking boots
- Warm clothes and trekking pants (trousers)
- Layers of clothes, include thermals, for variable temperatures especially at night
- Head torch with spare batteries
- Camera with extra film and batteries
- Sun protection: sunscreen, sunhat, sunglasses
- Woolen socks, gloves, scarf, woolen hat for cold nights
- Insect repellent
- Extra plastic bags, especially in the wet season
- Waterproof clothing or a rain poncho
- Water bottles and water purifying tablets – Optional
- Personal medical kit with a simple whistle
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks, tips
- Walking sticks
- Favorite snacks
- Inflatable mattress
- Toilet paper
- Sandals or flip-flop
- Swimming costume
- Passport and ISIC card if is applicable.