Huchuy Qosqo is a new short alternative trek to get Machu Picchu, camping outdoor in the highlands of the sacred valley. This adventure is perfect for families with children and those people who do not have enough time but want to enjoy the scenery and unique sceneries of the Andes exploring the mountains around the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
The archeological site, located in the mountains of the Sacred Valley was built possibly before its expansion. Huchuy Qosqo got to be the residence of Wiraqocha Inca ruler.
Early in the morning, we will pick you up at the hotel to drive you the trail head Tambo Machay Inca site. After a good breakfast, we will begin our adventure following a slightly uphill to the lookout point, from where we will see the amazing landscape and valleys. After a brief break, we will continue surrounding the mountains getting into a particular valley, where will see lots of llamas and alpacas wandering around. From the beginning, it will take about 3.5 hours to reach our lunch place at 4,100m /13,450ft. After lunch and small siesta, we will continue uphill to another lookout point, from where we will see small lagoons, lake birds and llamas around it, further away we will perceive the highest point of our trek, Huchuy Qosqo pass at 4,550m/14,927ft. After a while and taking pictures, we will head downhill for 1.5 hours to Puma Marca Inca site, where we will spend the night in a small Andean community.
Along the way we will appreciate stunning views throughout the journey on an overwhelming grassland, mountain lagoons, lots of lake birds such as Andean Geese, Partridges, and Lapwings as well as a variety of migrating birds, depending on the season.
• Meals: Snack, breakfast, lunch, Dinner.
• Accommodation: Camping outdoors by Kuntur Peru
• estimated walking time: 6 to 7 hours
• Walking distance: 16km/9.9Miles
• Difficulty: Moderate/challenging
After a delicious breakfast, we leave Puma Marca campsite to continue our journey, first we will reach a small cannon, which we will pass through wooden bridges attached to the steep mountains, suddenly we access to a clear with Incan terraces by the water stream, further down we will have the most spectacular views of the Urubamba Valley, mountains, small communities spread out in the valley; at the distance Huchuy Qosqo Inca site, where we will stop to explore with our tour guide. After a brief background information and tour in the site, we will head downhill to La May village in the valley, where our cook and porters will be waiting to get our last lunch ready. After lunch, we will take our private transportation to Ollantaytambo, where we will board the train to Aguas Calientes town, where we will spend the night in a 3-star hotel room.
The last supper will be at a restaurant, where your guide will give you some instructions for the following day adventure.
• Meals: Snack, breakfast, lunch, dinner
• Accommodation: 3 star hotel in Aguas Calintes
• Estimated walking time: About 3 hours to La May town
• Walking distance: 9km/5.5Miles
• Difficulty: Easy
Early in the morning after breakfast, catch the bus up to Machu Picchu, make sure you are carrying your passport to enter the archeological park, once in the citadel, your trekking guide will give you the background information about Machu Picchu, then he will take you to explore the important enclosures and sectors in the citadel. After 2 hours guided tour, you will have plenty of time for further exploration on your own.
Note: If you purchased the admission tickets to climb Waynapicchu Mt or Machu Picchu Mt, the guide will give you some instructions before you leave, it takes 1.5 to 2 hours back and forth to Wayna Picchu and 3 hours for Machu Picchu Mountain.
The guide will meet you at Aguas Calientes town for lunch. Afterward, take the train to Ollantaytambo, our transportation will wait you and drive you back to Cusco city.
• Meals: Breakfast at the hotel
• Accomodation: back to your Hotel in Cusco
• Estimated walking time: Exploring Machu Picchu
• Walking distance: km
• Difficulty: Super easy
Items Included in this tour
- Transfer from the airport to your hotel
- Private transportation
- Pick up at your hotel in the morning of the trek departure.
- All transfer in our van which only for Kuntur Peru costumers.
- Entrence fees to Huchuy Qosqo
- Entrance fees to Machu Picchu
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu for 2 hours.
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary (optional vegetarian food with prior request)
- Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
- First Aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Round trip train ticket (expedition service) from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Private transport from Ollantaytambo to your hotel in Cusco.
- Dinner in Aguas Calientes (touristic restaurant).
- 3 star Hotel room in Aguas Calientes.
Items not Included in this tour
- Entrance fees to Huaynapicchu ($25 additional).
- Lunch and dinner on day 3.
- Optional upgrades (train and hotel).
- Gratitude for porters and guides.
- Passport (and **International Student Identity Card (ISIC) if applicable).
- Travel Insurance is essential.
- Sleeping bag (not included but can be rented from us).
- Trekking boots.
- Waterproof jacket.
- Warm jacket, cap and gloves.
- T-shirts, sun hat.
- Comfortable pants.
- Hand sanitizer.
- Sun hat.
- Water (only for first 4 hours of trek, then we will provide you with drinking previously boiled- water).
- Sun block (SPF 35+ recommended).
- Insect repellent.
- Personal medication.
- Camera with extra memory card.
- Head lamp or Flashlight with extra batteries
Much of this trek is isolated and rugged. It is advised that trekkers acclimate by spending a few days at Cusco (3400m) or similar before attempting the trek. Trekkers should be in good physical condition and be experienced hikers. Additionally, weather and trail conditions can vary. Temperatures range from warm and humid to below freezing.
Trekkers should be prepared for changes to the itinerary and to meet unexpected challenges with an open-mind and sense of adventure. Climbing Huayna Picchu is an excellent addition to a trip to Machu Picchu. It offers superlative views, but is a steep climb that can take about three hours. Entrance to Huayna Picchu is limited and at scheduled times; visitors must sign up for a spot in advance.
If you would like to consider doing the climb, it is important to book it in advance. Salkantay is becoming increasingly popular. A more challenging and less crowded alternative route goes along the eastern flank of the mountain and down to Ollantaytambo, ending with a train journey to Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu. Alternatively, trekkers can follow part of this eastern route to Huayllabamba and join the classic Inca Trail, a route known as the High Inca Trail.
2 – 3 trekkers: $500.00 per person
4 – 6 trekkers: $470.00 per person
7 – 8 trekkers: $450.00 per person
According to Peruvian Law, you must be under 18 years of age at the time you do tour, or visit Machu Picchu, students 18 and above, need the ISIC card to qualify for the discount. Students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount. Email us a copy at email@example.com
- Student Discount (only with active green ISIC card): US$25.00
- Under 15 years will pay as student: US$25.00
- Under 10 years Discount: US$25.00
*More details will be available if you are interested in taking advantage of this offer, such as free tours in Cusco city, free items for camping activities, and personal discounts. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
RENTALS & EXTRAS
The following list of prices fixed in the items, are adjusted to the Huchuy Qosqo 3Days/2Nights. However, we consider discounting the price for each item, for more than 10 participants in the group.
- Trekking poles – US$ 10.00
- Sleeping bag – US$ 15.00
- Inflatable mattress – US$ 10.00
- Extra Tent supplement– US$30.00
- Waynapicchu mountain ticket – US$25.00
- Machu Picchu mountain ticket – US$25.00
Kuntur Peru includes 3 stars hotel room at Aguas Calientes town and expedition train service back and forth to Ollantaytambo. However, it is possible to upgrade your service for an additional cost shown below.
- Vista Dome Train (back to Ollantaytambo) + US$65.00
- Single Accommodation* at Machupicchu town + US$40.00
- 4 stars hotel at Machupicchu town + US$ 75.00
Kuntur Peru provides the best quality of items for our customers, for a better experience during the trekking, we concern about the safety, comfort, and satisfaction in every trekking activity.
- Four season (Eureka k-2 tx) tents, for two people in each.
- Black Diamond Trekking Poles.
- Sleeping bags according to route requirement.
- We use 3* hotels in Aguas Calientes, if you don’t want to share the twin bedroom, select Single Accommodation when Booking.
- If you are nature and landscape lovers, Vista Dome train service is the choice, wider windows, and glass ceilings to see the mountains.